“To know Christ and to make Christ known together” is not a slogan at First Pres. It’s a mission. Why is that our mission? Because scriptures teach us that Jesus called needy people to follow Him – to know Him. Then, Jesus sent them out into the world to share Him – to make Him known. And He told them to do it together. That’s what it means to be the church.
WHO WE ARE
First Presbyterian Church of Ocean Springs is a growing church committed to our mission: to know Christ and to make Christ known together.
We are located in the heart of Ocean Springs on the corner of Washington and Ocean Avenues. When you come to visit us, you will discover Christ-centered worship, biblical preaching and teaching, a welcoming community of every generation, and a commitment to God’s work in our neighborhood and in every nation.
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH IS AN EVANGELICAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (EPC).
First Presbyterian Church of Ocean Springs joined the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC) in May 2012. The EPC is a family of churches, Reformed and Presbyterian, defined by shared core values and bonded by the fellowship of the Holy Spirit. The EPC is a church family centered upon the good news of what God has done for the world through His Son, Jesus Christ.
OUR BELIEFS – THE SEVEN ESSENTIALS OF OUR FAITH
- We believe in one God, the sovereign Creator and Sustainer of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. To Him be all honor, glory and praise forever!
- Jesus Christ, the living Word, became flesh through His miraculous conception by the Holy Spirit and His virgin birth. He who is true God became true man united in one Person forever. He died on the cross a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. On the third day He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven, where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, He now is our High Priest and Mediator.
- The Holy Spirit has come to glorify Christ and to apply the saving work of Christ to our hearts. He convicts us of sin and draws us to the Savior. Indwelling our hearts, He gives new life to us, empowers and imparts gifts to us for service. He instructs and guides us into all truth, and seals us for the day of redemption.
- Being estranged from God and condemned by our sinfulness, our salvation is wholly dependent upon the work of God’s free grace. God credits His righteousness to those who put their faith in Christ alone for their salvation, thereby justifies them in His sight. Only such as are born of the Holy Spirit and receive Jesus Christ become children of God and heirs of eternal life.
- The true Church is composed of all persons who through saving faith in Jesus Christ and the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit are united together in the body of Christ. The Church finds her visible, yet imperfect, expression in local congregations where the Word of God is preached in its purity and the sacraments are administered in their integrity; where scriptural discipline is practiced, and where loving fellowship is maintained. For her perfecting, she awaits the return of her Lord.
- Jesus Christ will come again to the earth—personally, visibly, and bodily—to judge the living and the dead, and to consummate history and the eternal plan of God. “Even so, come, Lord Jesus” (Revelation 22:20).
- The Lord Jesus Christ commands all believers to proclaim the Gospel throughout the world and to make disciples of all nations. Obedience to the Great Commission requires total commitment to “Him who loved us and gave Himself for us.” He calls us to a life of self-denying love and service. “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10).